Monday, June 12, 2006

What doesn't kill you...

makes you stronger right? Well...lets see...I learned a few things today. Life lessons if you will and I learned them all while knitting a sock (you'll see pictures when I'm done with the sock). I apparently cannot follow simple instructions. I knit my sock around and around and around and around and around. Then it was time for the heel. The heel scared me. I was nervous. I was happy just knitting around and around and around. I bet Monica could have made a better foreskin with knitting than with bologna. OK, that was random. Anyway. I divided for the heel. Then there were TWO lines of instruction. TWO LINES people. I screwed up the first line and ripped back. No big deal. Then I started again and knit 6 rows and realized it was TOTALLY wrong. I wasn't even doing all the stitches I was supposed to (which for you knitters, the instructions are: Row 1 - *sl1 k1 repeat from * to end - Row 2 sl1 p to end - how freaking easy is that shit? Seriously) So I ripped out the rows and started again (this taught me how to pick up stitches within the work and rip back to them. Very handy). This time I sl1 k1 to the end, turned my work and sl1 p1 to the end! I screwed it up again! So I ripped it out again. Only I ripped it too far and ripped out one side of the stupid sock. I managed to rip out an hour or so worth of little bitty stitches in oh, um...10 seconds.

I finally get it all fixed and am ready to knit and I've dropped a stitch! I picked that up and now I'm back where I started on Saturday.

THis might not seem like a big deal, but it is, because fixing stuff scares me. Usually if I mess up, I rip it all out and start over or I just knit around it and call it beginners mistakes.

OK, you should be able to sleep well now...

2 comments:

Saffron said...

I feel your pain. I'm learning to do lace. A couple of weeks ago, spent all saturday working on it and at the end of the day, I found a mistake near the beginning and had to frog ALL that I worked on.

I don't get it - if the pattern is simple, and you understand the stitches, how can it be so difficult?

Hang in there. :)

Madame D said...

I finally found a book with a sock pattern that even I could understand.
I've made one.
I'm just stalled on the second one, afraid that it'll have absolutely no relation to the first sock, even though I'm desperately checking back and forth like every three stitches.
Sad.