OK, OK I know I just had this whole little spiel about not having negative energy but I have a true bonified problem.
The bookstore is overflowing with books that all have the same general premise....
Girl has given up on men and focused entirely on her career until something happens that turns her world upside down and she meets a man she never expected. Blahdy Blah blahblah.
I don't like this kind of book. They're predictable. They're boring and even the ones that mask themselves behind an artsy fartsy cover and vague name once you flip it over and start reading it hits you that it's yet ANOTHER girly novel.
I know there are other books out there, I know that more exists, I've read them, I've loved them, I've recommended them...I just can't seem to find them now and it makes me sad.
I need recommendations. I don't go to the library because I don't like hardbacks and I have issues handling paperbacks that several unknown people have handled, seriously, I can't stand to touch them and when I buy a book I dig out the one from middle/back that looks completely unleafed through. I have issues...I embrace these issues - but think about what you do while reading a book...you scratch, you eat, you pet your animals...so does everyone else who has handled that book. I'm getting squeamish just thinking about it.
So internet...What should I spend my money on?
My most recent completions: Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister, The Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime and now something I can't remember and I'm too lazy to look for that is about a Down Syndrome baby given up at birth while her twin was raised with a prominent family. Up in my queue is Son of a Witch and then probably Mirror Mirror and I'm considering jumping on the Harry Potter bandwagon but I need quicker reads to fill in shorter time spans, something that isn't hard to get into and flows so easily that you're a the last page and don't know how you got there.
Help!
Monday, June 04, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Any book by Jodi Picoult. She is AWESOME! I can maybe send you one if I can find one...I will look around. Also, Jennifer Weiner, who wrote Good in Bed. She has some other good books. I will see what I can find at home and send a couple your way now that I know you are looking for reading material!
I am just about to finish The Lady and the Unicorn by Tracy Chevalier... real quick book, 240 pages, I finished it in 3 lunch hours (which included eating and gossip) and about 2 hours on a Friday night. I wasn't pushing clearly : ) It was a great read, easy to follw and a very good book for in between... best part, it's $2.97 at the Borders Outlet store, it was $23.95 : )You can have it if you want it.
Post a Comment