Friday, March 14, 2008

Movin and Shakin

Greetings from Northern VA!

Adventure, schmenture. This past week we left our beautiful home in Charleston, SC and moved to Northern VA, into a 3 story townhouse. That means there are stairs, lots of stairs. We've never lived with so many stairs. I think we've each lost 10 lbs just hauling crap up and down stairs and we're not even close to being unpacked. I think we'll be settled just in time to pack it all up and move again.

Other than the stairs I really enjoy the layout of our new home. It's got a nice large kitchen and dining room, great family room and nice bedrooms for the three of us. The guest room is teetiny, barely room for the queen bed. The gentleman who lived here before us had interesting taste in decor. The walls are a silvery blue and the trim is maroon with gold switchplates. I've spent time trying to figure out why the house is painted as it is and all I can figure is that dude was a child of the 70's and one day he was sitting in the recliner and thought to himself:

"You know what this room needs? Spray painted blinds! White ones are so boring, I want my blinds to match the trim! I will paint them and it will be fabulous! Just think of how the morning sun will shine through the red blinds and make the whole room look like a bordello and it will greet me every morning on my way down to breakfast. Oh, and then I can paint the ones in my bedroom black and they will be fabulous too! Of course if I paint the blinds I will HAVE to hang a crystal chandelier at the top of the stairs. I hope the kitchen doesn't feel too boring after I make everything else so fabulous, I know, I'll hang 10 plants around and make it fabulous too! Now that I think of it, the pantry door is a little dull, maybe I should paint it silver, but not the whole thing, I'll do everything but the cut outs, yes, that's what I'll do."

Unfortunately, there is no explanation for the decor because these townhouses were built in the 90s. That means that these colors and crap weren't the style.

1 comment:

Sumpffamilie said...

Can't wait to see the pics.. and maybe I will visit if on my way up to NJ... if this friggin house ever sells!!!