Monday, December 05, 2005

Where's the Beef?

Well...there’s about 20lbs of it cooked into various meals in my freezer and fridge. Why is it all cooked up you ask? Have I really gone all Martha Stewart and planned meals ahead, storing them neatly stacked in my freezer in marked containers so that my family can easily prepare something to eat? Did I make a long involved grocery list, hit the meat counter sales and choose to have healthy meat heavy meals for the next 2 weeks? Yeah. Right. No, I was forced to cook said beef after my darling husband unplugged the deep freezer to plug in an air compressor to blow up his tires. Yep. Unplugged. The. Freezer. Luckily I found it before the meat had gone bad, it was still very cold and had ice crystals on it. Unfortunately it was way too thawed to re-freeze and thus meant I needed to cook it. We did lose a container of cookie dough ice cream, mozzarella sticks, Jimmy Dean sage sausage, popsicles, and one lonely steak from the grocery store. All of the beef is from Chris’ families cattle farm and is very lean so it takes a little more finesse to cook than just throwing it in the pan. There is virtually no fat on the meat and it can get tough...quick. Here’s a brief run down of what I cooked yesterday afternoon:

3/4 roast cubed for beef stew - frozen w/ juices
1/4 roast stripped for fajitas - frozen w/ veggies
1 roast in the crock pot for dinner tonight
1 roast given away to a friend

Total Roasts: 3

2lbs hamburger meat made into Sloppy Joe - frozen in individual bowls for lunches
2lbs hamburger meat made into meatloaf - again frozen for lunches
2lbs hamburger meat made into goulash - yep, you guessed it; frozen for lunches

Total hamburger meat - 6 lbs

and 15 steaks - marinating for cooking when we get around to it. Anybody got some ideas for steaks? Please? Anybody?

Oh and there were 3 quarts of green beans to cook as well. They’re all cooked and we’re eating them right up. All two of us. Where in the heck is my family when I need them to stuff their faces? No, really.

Anybody want to come to dinner tonight or tomorrow or next week? We’re having beef.

2 comments:

Squirl said...

Men. What're you gonna do with them? Their favorite line is, "Oh, I didn't know that would happen..."

I'm not much of a meat-eater, so I guess you guys are on your own. :-)

Missuz J said...

You didn't kill him? I never plan meals--though I'd like to be the kind of person who does. Maybe I need some kind of minor catastrophe to kick me into action.

oh--thanks for all your thoughtful comments on my blog. believe it or not--the mean a lot to me.