I love fall. I love the crispness* that is in the air, the cool bite at the end of a long day. Autumn represents so much to me, so much fun. In my mind it’s just as awakening as spring without the rain.
When I was younger fall meant the beginning of school, the revisiting of old friends, of a new grade with new knowledge. It was warm sweaters and blue jeans, toasty socks on my toes and tennis shoes. It meant getting into a schedule and as I entered the work force it meant less hours at work and at home. There were football half time shows to march, lunches to be eaten on the grass, and beautiful colors to enjoy. Nothing is prettier than a sunset over mountains of fall foliage. I love it when the weather is cool in the shade, warm in the sun and chilly at night. It’s the perfect time of year. Sleeping with the windows open and smelling the fresh air on your pillow when you crawl in bed at night. It’s the best feeling in the world. It takes me back to simpler times and all of the worries can just melt away into the crisp night air.
This past weekend I got a small taste of the mountain Autumn that I haven’t experienced in it’s early days in over 4 years. California’s winter is comparable weather wise, but it doesn’t have the same smell. Charleston’s fall starts a little later and still just isn’t the same. Nothing is the same. We camped with my parents and in doing so were able to sit by a camp fire without roasting, swim in a super cold** lake while getting sun on our faces without overheating, and lay on a dock looking at the Milky Way without being smothered by humidty. There was the slightest hint of autumn smell in the air, the temperature was in the 60’s at night and it was down right perfect.
We got back into town late Sunday night and it was cool. Monday morning I got up, put on a sweater and walked out into the 80 degree fall. Blech.
*I love crisp sheets too, when I am rich I will pay somebody to iron my sheets every day.
**The water is cold in the mountains year round. It can be 100 degrees outside and the water will be 60.
Thursday, September 28, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
It was in the 80s all last week.
That's not fall.
Fall is 60s, max.
Evil weather pixies.
Ahhh, Kat. You have made me so homesick for the South and the fall...the actual weather. This was a lovely post. California winter doesn't even compare to the wonderful, luscious, perfectness of a southern fall.
Thanks for your great post.
You're making me homesick, too! I like to think I'm acclimating to Texas, but you can never take the Alaska out of a girl.
I adore open windows while I sleep, too.
Post a Comment